McCommons Funeral Home, Callaway Funeral Home & Georgia's Lake Country Crematory will assist families of eligible veterans in making Military Funeral Honors Arrangements. This may include an honor guard to fold the flag, firing team and taps. Honoring those who served allows a grateful nation to pay final tribute to veterans who, in times of war and peace, stood strong in defense of the United States of America. Honorably discharged veterans and their families may be entitled to a number of special benefits upon death. These may include a plot allowance, burial allowance, headstone, death pension, and burial flag. Since there are many different benefits and qualifications for each, it’s best to discuss your situation with your funeral director. We will assist families in filing for V.A. Burial benefits, grave markers, and a flag (if desired) to use on the casket.
THE FOLLOWING VETERANS BENEFITS SHOULD BE CHECKED:
1. Death Pension to the widow and minor children.
2. Reimbursement of a part of the funeral expenses to person who paid the bill.
3. Burial in National Cemeteries.
4. Burial Flag and Grave Markers.
5. Some States may have additional benefits. Check the local Veterans Office.
In Greensboro (Open Tuesday & 1/2 day on Friday)
Veteran’s Administration Service Office
Greene County Court House
113 N. Main Street
Greensboro, GA 30642
Veterans Service Department
855 Sunset Drive
Athens, GA 30606
PAPERS REQUIRED FOR VETERANS’ BENEFITS:
1. Itemized receipted funeral bill.
2. Veteran’s discharge papers (DD-214)
3. Certified copy of Death Certificate
4. Marriage Certificate
5. Birth Certificate of minor children.
Veteran’s life insurance claims should be made at the same office where other benefits are applied for.